We make apple cake fairly frequently at our house, probably just as much as banana bread; It just seems to be a universal favourite. I’ve tried quite a few variations but this recipe seems to be the top contender at the moment, because it is really moist and dense, with a sweet crispy topping. It’s even better warmed up with some whipped cream or vanilla icecream on top.
Servings: One 8″ cake
For the sugar topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter, cubed
For the batter:
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup yogurt
1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- Grease and flour an 8×8″ baking dish or similar capacity cake pan, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To make the sugar topping: With a spoon or whisk, mix together the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Next, using either your hands or a fork, mix in the cubed butter into the mixture until a cumble like texture forms. It’s important to use cold butter otherwise mixture will become too soft. Set aside (or in the fridge if it’s a hot day).
- To make the batter: In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter with a hand or electric mixer for 3-4 minutes until soft and airy.
- Add half the sugar and beat until dissolved, scrape down the sides and then beat in the remaining half.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully mixed and then mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Next, using a spatula, fold in half the flour mixture and then once mixed fold in half of the yogurt.Fold in the remaining flour and yogurt one after the other. Give a quick mix with the electric mixer to ensure everything is fully incorporated. Finally, mix in the diced apples with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the cake dish/pan and even out with the spatula. Finally, sprinkle the sugar topping on top of the batter, ensuring to cover it completely and evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.