Don’t we all love a good curry but it’s nice to have some variety too; this one has a nice twist with the coconut milk, and ends up making has a really flavorful sauce. On the plus side, it’s pretty simple so doesn’t require a great deal of effort. If you sauté the onions first, and double the coconut milk and the stock, you could also make this in a crock pot.
3 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cinnamon stick, approx 2″ long
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup chicken stock
2 tomatoes, chopped
8-10 boneless, skinless chicken drumsticks
1/2 lemon, juiced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and cook slowly until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the tomato paste, curry powder, cinnamon stick, and chili flakes. Season as required with salt and pepper.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken stock and the tomatoes; Bring it to a simmer, then cover and cook until the tomatoes have cooked down, and the sauce starts to thicken.
- Then add the chicken and the lemon juice; Cover again and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through. Ensure to turn over the drumsticks so they cook evenly on all sides.
- Serve with rice, bread or even just a tossed salad.