I love French Toast; of course how can any form of bread – that too sweet and fried – not be amazing! But after many indulgences, such as the Banana French Toast with Chocolate Sauce, I realized that we should go for healthier breakfast options and keep the decadent stuff for special occasions only. I’m not talking about ‘kale for breakfast’ type stuff; so not ready for that! So this recipe is a good compromise, and is fairly quick and easy to make.
Servings: for 2 people
1 medium ripe banana, sliced
1/2 cup milk (any kind)
2/3 cup quick oats
1 tbsp coconut oil, optional
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 slices of bread (1)
– Grease a small baking dish (using butter or any oil), and preheat oven to 375ºF.
– In a medium size bowl, mix the milk, oats, oil, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon. Add the banana slices (they should just be thick enough that they don’t become easily mashed).
– Cut the bread into 1″ x 1″ cubes, and gently stir into the mixture until the liquid is fully absorbed.
– Spread in the baking dish evenly and place in oven for 15-20 minutes; Remove just before it starts to brown.BAKER’s NOTES:
– Use any kind of bread as long as it doesn’t dissolve with the milk (e.g. like with very soft white bread), chunkier the better.
Adapted from Running with Spoons