Servings: 1 Loaf Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk, room temperature
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 9″x 5″ inch loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric/hand mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar for approx. 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- One at a time, add the eggs, beating until combined after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the milk, beating after each addition to ensure fully incorporated in the batter.Set aside 1/3 of the batter.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water with a spoon until smooth. Stir this mixture into the reserved cake batter with a spatula.
- Spoon the batter in a checkerboard pattern into the pan, alternating between the vanilla and chocolate. Then to create the marbling effect, run a table knife through the batters in a swirling motion (ensuring that it reaches to the bottom of the mixture).
- Bake in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out cake from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.